Time to Read: 2 minutes
A couple times, as the kids were growing up, we took the whole family to the Rangers game. You can imagine what a small fortune it was to buy 9 people a ticket and snacks throughout the game. One of the places we saved money was to buy a couple of giant beverage cups and share. The cup would travel down the row distributing sips along-the-way. Everyone’s thirst would be quenched. Inevitably, when the cup returned back to me it was empty.
Our spiritual lives can be like that too– overflowing with a yummy beverage. There is more than enough to give unlimited sips to whoever needs/wants them. Or it can be an empty cup with nothing to offer.
Have you ever felt empty? I have often! As a parent, especially of small children, I constantly needed to give sips; Cleaning up, training, help with tasks, meals, laundry, boo-boo care–the things to do and be for children are never-ending.
I had to figure out what it takes to keep my cup filled up and ideally overflowing. When I parent from a place of abundance I am a way better mom. Everyone benefits!
Some of the ways, I discovered, that fill me back up are:
- Time to process thoughts without little voices interrupting. (Maybe a late night run to Walmart/Target/Grocery store)
- Reading a good book is a great escape to another world where little people don’t need anything
- A night away with your honey, or friends or even alone. (Absence from responsibility)
- Time with friends-coffee, lunch, dinner, shopping. (Distractions from constant needs)
- A craft project-brings out the creator in us.
- A bouquet of fresh flowers or a new candle because their beauty and smell bless my soul.
- Take a bath-with soothing Epsom salts. (Relaxation)
- Go on a walk- exercise is so powerful for brain chemicals.
- Write a note of gratefulness. (Changes perspective)
- Listen to worship music because it literally changes the atmosphere.
- Most importantly- ask the Holy Spirit to fill you up with all of His fruits.
The list goes on and on. So make a list of “fill ups” for yourself. When you see your cup getting empty pick something from the list! It will bless your soul and all those in your life that need a “sip”!
“I pray that God, the source of hope, will FILL you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13